web log free

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Deep Thoughts... even deeper memories.

Here's a little Jack Handy for you...

Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're an astronaut on the moon and you fear that your partner has been turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces, wham!, you just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think again, bat man."

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.


I love this kind of humour, the kind that preys upon one's gullible side. I love how he draws you into believing a brilliant idea is about to unfold only to find out you've been led into a dead end or even a wall of confusion... after reading the top "deep thought" you could ask yourself "what does bat man have to do with Dracula and why are they both on the moon?"

So Jack Handy might be funny but I am convinced that my brother, Jordan, is quite possibly one of the funniest people I've ever known. Even as a child he was so cunning with his subversive wit that he would leave adults wondering if he could have possibly known the complexity of how he made them laugh/got under their skin. He was, and is, a complete social animal.

One time Jordan and I were sitting in a Mexican transit bus with a bunch of terrified tourists - terrified because the ramshackle "bus" was tearing down the road like it was stolen. Jordan seized the opportunity to play his game of social confusion while he had the full attention of every silent wide-eyed person at the back. His game went like this, be friendly and talk loud with someone (me) and deliberately make mistakes in names, places, celebrities, and events. Also, mix up well-known celebrities with other well-known celebrities as you dialogue. (choosing to interchange people that kind of look like each other i.e. Sonny Bono with Ringo Starr) Watching the faces of people trying their hardest not to interrupt and correct his PAINFULLY obvious flaws was enough to fill our humor tanks for a while. Some of them would turn and wriggle in their seats just dying to correct him, others would look really close at his face wondering how someone could be such an... idiot? We did this the whole one hour bus trip. And, we actually made friends with a few of them too, I think they felt sorry for us. That was my second favorite Mexican memory.

2 Comments:

At 4:00 PM, Blogger Marcia said...

Hi Tiffany,
I stumbled across your blog and am enjoying it. Just for fun, I think Dracula is the original "bat man" (not Batman), as he became a bat and flew around, and shyed away from the moonlight (or was it sunlight?). Your brother sounds very funny and I think I might like to play that game sometime!
Marcia

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your brother is the funniest man in the world. I have spent my entire life inside of him.

Sincerly,
Jordan's brain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web log free